Historic Sites of Manitoba: Little Mountain School No. 52 (Klimpke Road, RM of Rosser)
The Little Mountain School District was established formally in March 1878. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NE21-11-2E in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Rosser. The original structure was relocated to the farm of school district trustee Hiram Ridge where it was converted into a family residence, later burning in a house fire. A second school building was constructed in 1902, at what is now the southwest corner of Klimpke Road and the old Inkster Boulevard (prior to the construction of CentrePort Canada Way). It sustained fire damage on 24 May 1948 but was saved, although on-site school records were lost in the blaze. The school re-opened and, in January 1958, the district became part of the Rosser Municipal School District. The school was closed on 30 June 1964. In 1971, the building and property was sold for $5,050. The building was used as a barn. At the time of a site visit in October 2014, it stands vacant but is in poor structural condition.
Among the teachers who worked at Little Mountain School through the years were Sam Newton, M. Emes (1907), Mary M. Thompson (1908-1909), Estelle P. Cromwell (1910), L. C. Anderson (1911), A. Edna Pope (1912-1913), A. Cameron (1913-?), J. A. McCullough (1915), Marion A. Buckley (1916), Helen M. McKelvy (1917-1918), Alma M. Kellington (1918-1919), Annie Cameron (1919-1921), Rachel I. Hill (1921), John Bruce Day (1922), Guy B. Stevens (1923), Hubert Harry Hooper (1923-1925), Robert Holloway (1925-1926), Ronald Victor Shearer (1927-1929), Walter William Mark (1929-1930), Muriel E. Paterson (1930-1935), Margaret Isabelle Morrison (1935-1939), Mary McIntyre Cummings (1939-1942), Alice Lawrence (1942-1943), Tena Siemens (1943-1944), Jeanette B. Gustafson Chimuk (1944-1946), Elizabeth D. Parr (1946-1947), Phyllis Irene Allinson Olson (1947-1949), Jean Bertha Rudy Gilson (1949-1951), Ivadell Doreen Bothwell Telford (1952-1955), Ruby Matwichuk Putaro (1955-1956), Justine Harriet McArthur (1956-1958), Lynne Murphy Solar (1958-1960), Elaine Margaret Georgine Elliott (1960-1961), and Jemima Florence Webster (1961-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The First Hundred Years, 1893-1993 by the Rosser Municipality Centennial History Book Committee.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2043), Little Mountain School District No. 52 / Little Mountain School District No. 2356, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E0757), Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 July 2017
Back to top of page