Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lindal School No. 1060 (RM of Stanley)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Lindal School District was organized in April 1900. A school building was constructed the next year in the southeast quarter of 29-1-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. It was one of the few one-room schools in Manitoba that hosted classes from grade 1 through grade 12. It closed in January 1967. As of the early 1990s, the wood frame building still sat at the site but it is no longer present.

Principals

Period

Principal

1923

Harold Arthur Whitfield (1876-1951)

1923-1924

Mary Ethel Simms (c1895-1947)

1924-1925

B. F. McLeod

1925-1927

Margaret E. MacKenzie

1927-1928

J. B. Smalley

1928-1930

Florence E. Andrew

1930-1933

Annie K. Dickison

1933-1935

Geoffrey Greatorex

1935-1937

?

1937-1939

Rhoda May Gibbs Small (1908-2003)

1939-1940

Charles E. Littler

1940-1941

John M. Fargey

1941-1942

Joseph Joubert

1942-1943

Agnes Sherrard Crickard (1891-1965)

1943-1944

W. Hankevich

1944-1956

?

1956-1958

Peter J. Loewen

1958-1961

G. N. Janzen

1961-1962

?

1962-1963

H. Loewen

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Lindal School

Lindal School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 49.

Lindal School commemorative sign

Lindal School commemorative sign (October 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.05955, W98.23367
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 October 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.