Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leifur School No. 1561 (RM of Alonsa)

The Leifur School District was established formally in January 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE27-20-10W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Alonsa. It became part of the Amaranth School District in 1938 and the Turtle River School Division in 1959. The school closed in June 1966. As of 2018, the building stood at its original site, renovated into a private residence.

Among the teachers of Leifur School were Myrtle Wellwood (1913), Faye Coolidge (1914-1915), Malka Hausfeld (1916), Nora Bell (1916), Frederick J. Grover (1917), Dora A. Wile (1917), Howard Eliasson (1918), Stanley Lloyd (1919), Margaret McGregor (1920), Percy B. Sexsmith (1920), Harold Eliasson (1921), Mariette B. Fyles (1921-1922), Lloyd C. Stinson (1922), J. A. Bell (1923), Marietta Rogers (1924), Wilhelmina Martin (1924-1926), E. M. Eldred (1926), Jennie Tkaychyk (1927), Francis M. Pizzey (1928), Frances M. Loptson (1929-1930), Evelyn White (1930), Mary Martin (1931-1933), Nora A. Mooney (1935-1936), Carmen Smallman (1936-1938), Bessie Carson (1938), Eldera Sissons (1939-1941), Emily Rawlings (1941), Esther Kettner (1942), Ethel M. Anderson (1943-1950), Betty Forth (1950), Doreen Dickson (1951), Pat Dickson (1952), Shirley Fitzsimmons (1953), Shirley (1954), Betty Wicks (1955), Shirley Young (1956), Marjorie McFarlane (1957), Carol Jean Fletcher (1958), Lillian Thompson (1959-1960), Paul Gluck (1961), Marie Hlagie (1962-1963), S. W. Stephens (1964), and Marie Lambourne (1965).

Leifur School

Leifur School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 140.

The former Leifur School building

The former Leifur School building (November 2018)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): 50.74267, W98.76461
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Amaranth War Memorial, Schools, and Churches (Amaranth, RM of Alonsa)

Sources:

Amaranth West topographic map, 62J/10 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Many Trails to Manitou - Wapah by Village History Committee, Alonsa, 1993, pages 281-282.

We thank Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.