This two-storey brick building in Carman consists of two adjacent structures designed and built by Edmund Watson around 1897. The most northerly building was built for John W. Jamieson to house his Dufferin Leader newspaper. The corner building served as Carman’s second post office and a branch of the Bank of Hamilton. Throughout the years, these buildings have accommodated the telephone office (1911-1958), a tailor, photographers, and restaurants, along with other businesses.
Memorable Manitobans: Edmund Watson (1856-1947)
Memorable Manitobans: John W. Jamieson (1853-1910)
Manitoba Business: Bank of Hamilton
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leader Building (1895 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 October 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.