Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leacock House (442 Scotia Street, Winnipeg)
Designed by Winnipeg architect Walter Chesterton, this 2½-storey brick building was constructed in 1882 on the bank of the Red River for politican and con artist E. P. Leacock. It was later owned by lawyer N. F. Hagel and, in 1911, was sold to the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (Soeurs du Bon Pasteur), who had come to Winnipeg that year to care for young girls who had passed through the city’s juvenile court system. The facility would later become known as Marymound. In the late 1950s, the building was converted into a residence with other buildings around it as part of the Marymound complex. It is now a municipally-designated historic site.
“To contractors,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 June 1882, page 2.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
Marymound School Complex, 442 Scotia Street, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, December 2011.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 July 2019
Back to top of page