Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Riviere Brickyard (La Riviere, Municipality of Pembina)

A brickyard operated east of La Riviere, in what is now the Municipality of Pembina, from early 1902 for about a decade. Incorporated as the Press Brick and Tile Company, the firm’s President was Winnipeg businessman Elisha F. Hutchings, with investors including William Brydon, Hugh Armstrong, E. L. Drewry, and J. A. Davidson. Four kilns were constructed in early 1903, with four more later that year. The local gray shale produced brick that, when fired, ranged in colour from pink to deep red. Among the first buildings made using bricks from the facility was the La Riviere School (1903). The facility was sold in mid-1906, with Brydon assuming control. It was renamed the Phoenix Brickworks in 1910 and sold again in 1913. A downturn in the economy, combined with the advent of the First World War in 1914, doomed the plant and it never reopened.

The buildings of the brickworks were eventually demolished and the site was occupied for a time by a cattle feedlot. It is presently vacant.

Postcard view of the La Riviere Brickyard

Postcard view of the La Riviere Brickyard (circa 1908)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0005

Former site of the La Riviere Brickyard

Former site of the La Riviere Brickyard (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.23927, W98.67449
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Press Brick and Tile Company / Phoenix Brick Works

Sources:

“New brick manufacturing co.,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 May 1902, page 8.

Turning Leaves: A History of La Riviere and District by La Riviere Historical Book Committee, c1979. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.L38 Tur]

This page was prepared by Chris Thompson, Gordon Goldsborough, and Randy Rostecki.

Page revised: 9 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.