Historic Sites of Manitoba: Langside School No. 230 (RM of Franklin)
The Langside School District was established in April 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE12-3-3E in the Rural Municipality of Franklin, on two acres of land donated by local farmer James Lang, for whom the district was named. The original structure was replaced in 1905 by a second school building.
After the school closed in June 1958, its students went to Arnaud Consolidated School or Green Ridge School. The district was dissolved in 1964 and its area became part of the Boundary School Division. The former school building was used for a time as a granary but, at the time of a site visit in 2012, it was gone.
Among the teachers who worked at Langside School were Garnet Coulter (1902-1903), Elizabeth Greene, Nina Waddel, Lottie Laveen, Roberta Drake, Eunice Cuthbert, H. Zado, Margaret Lamont, Margaret Rowan, Jean Campbell, Beatrice Oatway, Miss Hall, Laura Krisjansen, Shirley Battman, Myrtle Hassett, Jean King, Katie Janzen, Rita King, Katherine Friesen, and Elise Dyck.
Emerson East topographic map, 62H/3 East, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Arnaud Through the Years by Arnaud Historical Society, 1974. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 January 2015
Back to top of page