Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hill Brothers Grocery / Langside Grocery (164 Langside Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Langside Street in Winnipeg was designed and built in 1912 by the Daykin Scott Construction Company at a cost of about $8,000. The main floor was occupied by the Hill Brothers Grocery, operated by brothers William and James Hill who resided nearby at 150 Langside.
The upper two floors, added in 1927, contained rental apartments. William Hill sold the store in 1922, when it was affiliated with the Red and White chain and later part of the Shop Easy chain. In 1942, under owners Jack and Alma Schiller, the store was named the Langside Grocery.
Presently, the building, a designated West Broadway Heritage Site, houses the Langside Grocery restaurant.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1759/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2551/1927, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Cheers to West Broadway's Community Heritage, Heritage Winnipeg Blog, 18 December 2017.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 27 March 2022