Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator A (Langruth, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
In 1947, a 40,000-bushel wooden grain elevator was constructed at Langruth, on the CNR Oakland Subdivision, by Manitoba Pool Elevators for a newly formed Langruth Co-operative Elevator Association. Three years later, to help in handling a bumper crop, a balloon annex was built alongside the elevator, increasing its capacity to 85,000 bushels. In 1953, a second balloon annex increased it further, to 135,000 bushels. It became the Pool A elevator when, in 1972, the nearby Federal Grain elevator was purchased to become Pool B.
In late 1983, anticipating abandonment of its CN railway line in mid-1984, Pool closed the A elevator and moved it to the CPR Minnedosa Subdivision at Westroc where it was extensively renovated as part of a larger facility. The original driveshed/office remained intact in Langruth as recently as 2022.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
“Closure of CN rail line forces elevator relocation,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 July 1983, page 9.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Mike Lisowski.
Page revised: 12 July 2022