Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


MHS
Fall 2018
Field Trip


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: John De Graff School (1020 Louelda Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Located in the River East School Division, this school is named for market gardener and municipal official John De Graff. Built between 1976 and 1977 on designs by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Macdonald, Cockburn, McLeod, McFeetors Architects, it opened to students on 27 September 1977. As of 2014, the elementary school was undergoing a two-classroom expansion.

Principals

Period

Principal

1977-1981

?

1981

John A. Melnyk

1981-1989

?

1989-1992

Rod Hildebrand

1992-1995

?

1995-1997

Ron H. Shewchuk

1997-2002

?

2002-2004

Andrea Hammond

2004-2008

?

2008-?

Margaret Fair

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1981

Ron H. Shewchuk

Teachers (partial list)

Elizabeth Jean Wright “Betty” Prystupa (1977-1991, Teacher-Librarian)

Photos & Maps

John De Graff School

John De Graff School (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.92339, W97.06148
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John De Graff (1900-1954)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: John De Graff Park (1024 Louelda Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: De Graaf Nature Park (Reg Wyatt Way, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 May 1976, page 8.

“Redwood Bridge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 July 1981, page 10.

“Crackdown on rowdy teenagers requested,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Edition, 15 October 1989, page 1.

“Butterfly a fitting tribute to my late wife, principal says,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 July 1992, page 14.

“Students learn computer skills early on at John de Graff School,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North / Northeast, 26 July 1995, page 1.

“From John de Graff, with love,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North / Northeast, 12 February 1997, page 4.

“John de Graff students, staff celebrate 25 years,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North, 2 October 2002, page 1.

“Baby bonding,” Winnipeg Free Press Neighbours, 14 January 2004, page NE2.

“Plastic shopping bags get low mark,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 May 2008, page B3.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 10 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.