Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jerome School No. 1506 (RM of Montcalm)

The Jerome School District was established in June 1909 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE11-4-2E in the Rural Municipality of Montcalm. The original building served as the educational centre of the community until 1951, when it was replaced with a new structure. It was closed between 1958 and 1961 due to low student enrollment. It closed permanently in 1967 and its dstrict was dissolved, the area becoming part of the Boundary School Division. Only the building’s concrete foundation remained at the site at the time of a 2014 visit.

Among the teachers who worked at Jerome School through the years were Miss Quinn (1909-1910), Adeline Kelly Houston, Florence Gainer Hay, Miss Rivard, Florence Fahey, Minnie Stewart Lamb, Miss Meltsted, Miss Hanley, Mrs. Woodman, May Nichols Sullivan, Jean Hopkins Hunter (1925-1926), Christine McLachlan Nichols (1926-1928), Florence McLachlan Dundas (1928-1930), Florence Duprey Desaulnier (1930-1933), Mr. P. J. Heinrichs (1933-1948), Rudy Schulz (1948-1950), Jane Voth Burstaller (1950-1951), Katherine Friesen Dalke (1951-1952), Margaret Friesen Loepp (1952-1955), Ann Derksen (1956-1958), Helen Hildebrandt Goertzen (1961-1963), Peter Kroeker (1963-1964), Charlotte Enns Penner (1964-1966).

Jerome School

Jerome School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 130.

Jerome School

Concrete foundation of the former Jerome School building (April 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.29540, W97.21079
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Morris East topographic map, 62H/6 East, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

Arnaud Through the Years by Arnaud Historical Society, 1974. [Manitoba Legislative Library]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 April 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.