Historic Sites of Manitoba: Janowski School No. 1512 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Janowski School District was organized formally in September 1909, named for Polish settlers Andrei Janowski (1874-1928) who donated the land for a schoolhouse at the northwest corner of NW20-28-17W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore and supervised its construction. In 1936, the district became part of the Lawrence Municipal School District.
Among the teachers of Janowski School were Mrs. White (1910) and George E. Basham (1911).
Death registration [Andrew Janowski], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
School District Formation Files [Janowski School District No. 1512], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, pages 228-229.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 March 2020