This two-storey brick building at Melita, measuring 25 feet by 60 feet, was constructed in 1907 by contractors ? Johnstone and George Arthur Pope for the International Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization, using locally-made red bricks. From 1912 to 1937, its main floor accommodated the local Post Office and Customs House.
Memorable Manitobans: George Arthur Pope (1876-1950)
MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Melita Lumber and Manufacturing Company / Melita Brick and Tile Company
Manitoba Organization: Independent Order of Odd Fellows
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Post Office Building (116 Main Street, Melita)\
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.