Historic Sites of Manitoba: IOOF Hall / Odd Fellows Hall (72 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Designed by local architect Hugh McCowan and erected in 1883-1884 at the southwest corner of Princess Street and McDermot Avenue, this three-storey building provided meeting rooms on its third floor for local lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The lower two floors were leased to commercial tenants, most notably the clothing firm of Carscaden & Peck, to pay for the building and generate revenue for the fraternal organization. The building was the administrative centre for the IOOF until 1910 when that function was moved to new headquarters on Kennedy Street, while the building remained home for Manitoba Lodge No. 1.
A fire in January 1930 damaged the building’s interior and destroyed IOOF records and materials. Renovations supervised by architect Frank R. Evans changed the exterior look of the building somewhat but left the upper floor and its ballroom with pressed tin ceiling largely intact. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
McDermot Block / former Oddfellows Hall (72-74 Princess Street), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1986.
Johnstone Block (Kuo Min Tang Building), 209 Pacific Avenue, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, May 2019.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 January 2020
Back to top of page