Huron School was established in 1884 and a school building was erected on the northwest quarter of 23-2-11 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Louise. It closed in 1967 when it was consolidated with Crystal City Consolidated School No. 107. The school building is no longer present at the site but a stone monument commemorates it.
The former Huron School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 633.
Huron School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.14748, W98.85195
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 November 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!