Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hills Green School No. 856 (RM of Ellice-Archie)
Hills Green School District No. 856 was formally established in May 1895 and a 18 foot by 24 foot wood frame school building was erected on the southeast quarter of 24-14-29 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Archie. It closed in 1959 and its remaining students went to Rutherglen Consolidated School No. 1297. The district was dissolved in January 1962. As of 1986, the building was standing at NE24-14-29W. A concrete monument, dedicated in July 1983, commemorates the school.
Among the teachers of Hills Green School was Thomas V. Cole.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Search for roots ends at school,” Brandon Sun, 21 September 1998, page 4.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 April 2018
Back to top of page