In 1912, this building on Lulu Street in Winnipeg became home to the Haynes family when they arrived here from British Guiana. In 1952, Zena Haynes (wife of Percy Haynes) and her sister Alva Mayes opened a restaurant that featured such staples of southern US cooking as fried chicken, chicken tamales, barbecued spareribs, chili con carne, and creole shrimp. It also became renowned for live music performances. Haynes Chicken Shack closed in September 1996.
The former Haynes Chicken Shack (September 2019)
Source: George Penner
The former Haynes Chicken Shack (April 2021)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90835, W97.15579
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Piercy Augustus “Percy” Haynes (1911-1992)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
Advertisement [Haynes Chicken Shack], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 November 1952, page 4.
“Successful city restaurant began with young girl's dream,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 February 1988, page 13.
“Landmark restaurant closes doors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 September 1996, page 7.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!