Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hamlin School No. 1790 (RM of Argyle)
The Hamlin School District was established in May 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE30-4-14W in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The school closed in 1958. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its catchment area was divided between the Belmont Consolidated School District, Baldur Consolidated School District, Alma School District, and Huntly School District. It eventually became part of the Tiger Hills School Division.
The teachers of Hamlin School were Isabella Douglas, May Douglas, Kirstin Johnson, Evangeline Turner, Nellie Glover, Marion Price, Nora Kelly, P. M. Swaritch, Jhonna Kristjanson, Etta Beatty, F. Jean McQuarrie, T. M. Turnbull, Helen Smith, Lois Scharff, Belle Sole, Poly Dutka, F. Somerville, May Nivens, and Margaret Alcock.
Baldur West topographic map, 62G/6 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Path of the Pioneers: Belmont and District, 1889-1989 by Belmont History Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B44 Pat]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Back to top of page