Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway Station (598 Plinguet Street, Winnipeg)
Built along the 156-kilometer aqueduct extending from Shoal Lake, on the Manitoba-Ontario border, to St. Boniface, the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway was used during construction of the aqueduct and later to transport maintenance workers and supplies along it. The railway’s original frame station at the terminus of the line was replaced with the former St. Boniface Canadian Northern Railway Station prior to this site being acquired around 1928. Construction of this ornamental, red granite structure began around July 1929, based upon designs by local architect William Fingland, was completed by day-labourers at a cost of $16,000. The MacDonald Brothers Sheet Metal and Roofing Company (roofing) and Jean J. Daoust (electrical) were sub-contracted in its completion. Its interior had a waiting room, baggage room, cold storage area, and office space for the station master. The facility was officially opened on 20 December 1929 with a ceremonial banquet attended by many local dignitaries. Railway passenger service was discontinued in September 1977 and summer excursions ended in 1982. The station was converted into offices. In front of the building is a railway car used by the Water District, and built for in 1921 by Service Motor Coach of Wabash, Indiana. The Winnipeg building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Photos & Coordinates
Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway Station (598 Plinguet Street), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 1995.
“May buy station site,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 February 1925, page 4.
“Suggests new station for G.W.W.D. Railway,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 July 1928, page 6.
“Defer construction of new G.W.W.D. Depot,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 August 1928, page 4.
“New railway station for Water District,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 June 1929, page 4.
“Tenders for new station are accepted,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 September 1929, page 3.
“New G.W.W.D. Station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 October 1929, page 30.
“New G.W.W.D. Station to be opened Friday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1929, page 3.
“Official opening of water line Station,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 December 1929, page 42.
Page revised: 15 December 2019
Back to top of page