Historic Sites of Manitoba: Guest Fish Warehouse / Great West Metal Building (90 Alexander Avenue, Winnipeg)
This building on Alexander Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect James Chisholm and constructed in 1905 by William Grace and Company for William John Guest of the W. J. Fish Company of Selkirk. An addition was made five years later by Carter-Halls-Aldinger. In 1939, the building was occupied by Great-West Metal Products Limited founded earlier that year by George T. Williams and his father Martin Williams Sr. Further building expansions occurred in 1949, 1956, 1974, and 2002. In 2017, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
The former Guest Fish Warehouse, now the Great West Metal building (October 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Great West Metal building (February 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90005, W97.13207
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: William John Guest (1852-1940)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
W. J. Guest Fish Company Warehouse / Great West Metal Company Building, 90 Alexander Avenue, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, June 2015.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 September 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.