Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenwood Roller Mill and Grain Elevator (Souris, Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)
Between 1881 and 1883, the Glenwood Roller Mills was built on the bank of Plum Creek in Souris by entrepreneurs George McCulloch and William Herriot. The facility included a grain elevator and annex in addition to the flour mill. In 1891, McCulloch and Herriot negotiated with the Canadian Pacific Railway for the construction of a private siding to their mill.
After Herriot retired in 1903, the firm became known as George McCulloch & Sons, run by McCulloch and his three sons. The mill closed in 1921 due to the economic depression that followed the First World War. Purchased by the McCabe Grain Company in 1938, the firm constructed a new grain elevator in 1961. The facility was bought by United Grain Growers in March 1968.
Closed around 1995 and replaced by a new concrete elevator northeast of Souris, the old plant was demolished in June 1996. The engine from the mill was donated to the Manitoba Agricultural Museum at Austin.
Grain Elevators in Canada, compiled by Board of Grain Commissioners for Canada, Winnipeg, 1912-1930, 1930-1953, 1953-1998 [Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries], 1998-2016 [Canadian Grain Commission].
“Mill demolished,” Glenboro Gazette, 2 July 1996, page 2.
Digital orthophotographs, Manitoba Land Initiative, Government of Manitoba.
United Grain Growers Fonds, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Page revised: 12 May 2018
Back to top of page