This two-storey brick building on Heaton Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Johann Schwab and built between 1904 and 1905 for the German Society of Winnipeg.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hebrew Free School (Talmud Torah) / German Society Building (121 Charles Street, Winnipeg)
“Record year in building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1905, page 24.
German Club, 61 Heaton Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2007.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.