This two-storey stone apartment building on Des Meurons Street in Winnipeg was designed by its original owner, stonemason Joseph Gauthier (1876-1945), and built in 1908 using stone left over from nearby St. Boniface Cathedral.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Boniface Cathedral (190 Avenue de la Cathedrale, Winnipeg)
Death registration [Joseph Gauthier], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary [Joseph Gauthier], Winnipeg Tribune, 28 December 1945, page 10.
Gauthier Block, 544 Rue Des Meurons by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 March 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.