This six-storey brick structure on Carlton Street in downtown Winnipeg, designed by architects John Woodman and Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey and constructed by the firm of Carter-Halls-Aldinger by 1913, was occupied by the Manitoba Free Press (later the Winnipeg Free Press) for 78 years. In 1991, the company relocated to an industrial park in northwest Winnipeg. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Free Press Building (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Free Press Building (May 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89335, W97.14638
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ella Cora Hind Plaque (300 Carlton Street, Winnipeg)
MHS Centennial Business: Winnipeg Free Press (Manitoba Free Press)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2950/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Free Press Building, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1998.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!