Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Framnes School No. 1293 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)

The Framnes School District was established in June 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in what is now the Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton. In 1943, the school building was destroyed a fire and a replacement was constructed at SE30-22-2E. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Arborg Consolidated School District No. 2441 and later the Evergreen School Division. The school remained open until 1967. After it closed, the building was sold and moved to the Komarno area.

The teachers of Framnes School were Kristveig M. Jonson (1905-1906), Anna Freeman (1906-1907), Violet C. Paulson (1907-1909), Olof A. Jonasson (1909-1910, 1914, 1916-1917, 1918-1919), Andrea [Ingjaldson] Ingaldson (1910-1911, 1912-1913), Jona E. Sigurdson (1911-1912), Solveig Stephanson (1914), Jean A. Sutton (1915), Bessie Poole (1915-1916), Jonasina Stefanson (1918), Evelyn Norah Urry (1919), Anna A. Westman (1920-1922), Catherine J. Wood (1922), S. T. Thompson (1923), ? (1923-1924), Helen Lind (1924-1925), Miss V. S. Sigvaldason (1925-1926), Pearl Nicol (1926), Josephine B. [Rudniski] Rudneski (1927), Harry D. Gregg (1927-1928), Alexandra Claire Jones (1928-1930), Bella Miller (1930-1931), Hugh Edward Beddome (1931-1934), Goldie Ruth Satten (1934-1935), ? (1935-1936), Marino Somunder Eliasson (1936-1938), Kristjana Sigvaldason (1938-1940), Svala Palsson Wagner (1940-1941), Elin Magdalena Johnson (1941-1942), Ingibjorg Sigvaldason (1942-1943), Grenville Warren Scott (1943-1944), Solveig Ingibjorg Brynjolfson (1944-1945), Alexandra Chomokoski (1945-1946), Cornelius Bergen (1946-1947), Solrun Bjornson (1947-1948), Gloria A. Farion (1948-1949), Myrtle Rusenel (1949-1950), Rose K. Podruski (1950-1952), Alma Margaret Martin (1952-1953), ? (1953-1954), Larry Kohut (1954-1955), William Phillip Baumgartner (1955-1958), Lorraine Bernice Martin (1958-1960), Jan. Augustson (1960-1961), Carol Helga Erlendson (1961-1963), Leslie Cameron Hurst (1963-1964), Victor Borgford (1964-1966), and Erna Ruth Falk (1966-1967).

Framnes School

Framnes School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 92.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.92074, W97.29928
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Arborg topographic map, 62I/14, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century Unfolds: History of Arborg and District, 1889-1987, researched and compimled by the Arborg Historical Society, 1987. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.A73 Cen]

Manitoba School Records Collection, Framnes School District No. 1293 - Daily Registers, GR6189, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 2 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.