Historic Sites of Manitoba: First Scandinavian Mission Church (268 Ellen Street, Winnipeg)
This brick structure at the corner of Ellen Street and Logan Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in 1897, on a design by local architect Hugh McCowan, to meet the spiritual needs of the city’s burgeoning populations of Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, and Icelandic immigrants. It replaced a wooden frame structure built at the site in 1886. In addition to hosting church services with seating for 225 people, and space for another 125 people in an adjoining room, the building was also used as a meeting place and resource centre. In the late 1950s, it was taken over by the congregation of the Presbyterian First Reformed Church. The church closed in 1975 and stood vacant for 15 years. The structure was saved from demolition in 1990 and was restored for use as office space. It is a municipally- and provincially-designated historic site.
Photos & Coordinates
First Scandian Mission Church, 268 Ellen Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Scandinavian Mission Church, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1987.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2020