Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ferndale Methodist Church / Ferndale United Church (RM of Macdonald)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

In August 1901, local Methodists decided, after having used Ferndale School for services since the 1880s, to build their own church nearby. A building was erected the next year, serving congregants from the Ferndale, Golden Valley, and Donore districts. It became a United Church after unification of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational churches in 1925. A new church was constructed during the summer of 1949. It continued to be used for weekly services until a farewell service was held on 30 June 1991, after which the remaining congregants went to Starbuck United Church. Special memorial services in the building were held occasionally, and it remained at the site until February 2009 when it was sold for one dollar and moved to a nearby site for use as a workshop. A metal commemorative sign was installed in July 2020.

Clerics

Among the clerics who served at this church were John Fitzpatrick, Leonard Bygrave, Rev. Horn, J. McNair, J. Wilson, G. McNeill, Scott Leith, Lloyd Cleworth Stinson, G. Wilkie, G. Dyker, Mr. Smith, Herbert Thomas Reynolds (1935-1937), A. L. Watson, Harold Wyman, Marion Johnson, George Fay, A. B. Simpson, C. Manning, A. Suitters, O. Hodge, R. Kendall, A. Lucy, R. Mattock, A. D. Bennett, P. Laedler, Rev. Cook, Judy Crease, William Lindley “Bill” Whetter, Peter and Elizabeth Moffatt, Linda Murray (?-1980), Gaston Vialard (?-1980), Ted Dodd (1980-1983), James “Jim” Hatherly (1983-1987), and Heather Moore (1987-1991).

Photos & Coordinates

Removal of the former Ferndale United Church

Removal of the former Ferndale United Church (February 2009)
Source: Len Goldsborough

Former site of Ferndale United Church

Former site of Ferndale United Church (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Ferndale United Church buildling at its present site

The former Ferndale United Church buildling at its present site (September 2020)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Commemorative sign near the former site of Ferndale United Church

Commemorative sign near the former site of Ferndale United Church (July 2020)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.72400, W97.51610
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ferndale School No. 498 (RM of Macdonald)

Sources:

Hugging the Meridian, Macdonald: A Manitoba Municipal History, 1881-1981 by Betty Dyck, 1981.

We thank Katherine Macedo, Margaret Porter, Sandy Robers, Erin Acland (United Church of Canada Archives) and Rev. Jim Hatherly for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Leonard Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.