This six-storey warehouse was designed by local architect John Danley Atchison and constructed in 1907 under the supervision of Herbert Bell Rugh by John Alexander Girvin. It was built for the Fairchild Company, under proprietor Frank Alanson Fairchild, which sold agricultural implements.
It was one of the first warehouses to break with the Richardsonian-Romanesque tradition established by the Whitla, Ashdown, and Gault Buildings. The Fairchild firm remained in the building until 1953 after which it was sold to the Sterling Cloak Company, which converted it to a garment factory.
The building became a municipally-designated historic site in May 1985.
Fairchild Building (May 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Fairchild Building (December 2018)
Source: George Penner
Fairchild Building commemorative plaque (2009)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89898, W97.14190
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: Frank Alanson Fairchild (1849-1898)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fairchild Warehouse / John Deere Plow Warehouse (255 Sutherland Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Fairchild Building / Sterling Cloak Building (110-120 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1985.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 October 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!