Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crescentwood Park / Enderton Park / “Peanut Park” (11 Ruskin Row, Winnipeg)
Bordered by Ruskin Street, Yale Avenue, Amherst Street (now Avonhurst Street), and Harvard Avenue, this Winnipeg site commemorates realtor Charles Henry Enderton who established an English country garden on the grounds. He offered the property to the Winnipeg Parks Board in September 1902 and his offer was accepted in 1903. Originally named Crescentwood Park for the surrounding neighbourhood, the two-acre park was posthumously renamed for Enderton in July 1924.
The park was noted for its flowers, shrubbery, and pathways. By the 1940s, fieldstone walls (now removed) adorned the grounds and flowerbeds hosted several thousand flowers. Over the years, and without definitively known catalyst, local residents have taken to affectionately calling it “Peanut Park,” possibly in connection with the Kinsmen Club and their peanut-selling fundraisers for, amongst other projects, parks. However, any formal connection between the Kinsmen Club and Enderton Park is unknown. The earliest newspaper reference to the name “Peanut Park” is a June 1948 real estate advertisement in the Winnipeg Tribune. The moniker gained such traction that, in 1993, the Crescentwood Home Owners Association spearheaded a campaign to rename the park after Enderton, apparently unaware that this name had been applied 69 years earlier.
In the 2000s, the park received a community-organized $200,000 facelift, with assistance from the City of Winnipeg and Manitoba Hydro.
“Will give park to city,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 September 1902, page 12.
“A city of parks,” The San Bernardino County Sun, 16 August 1912, page 4.
“Enderton Park is new name for Crescentwood,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 July 1924, page 2.
“Here and there with the camera,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 December 1933, page 3.
“Facing Peanut Park,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 June 1948, page 21.
“More parks ripped,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 June 1956, page 3.
“Kinsmen nut sale on Wed.” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1970, page 3.
“Their current project,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1970, page 3.
“Coffee-table book explores heritage,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 May 1993, page B3.
“Fields of dreams, weeds,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 July 2011, page A2.
“Peanut Park lovingly restored,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 November 2011, page A2.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 13 November 2014