Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Elva, RM of Two Borders)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Maps | Sources

This grain elevator, in Elva on the CPR Estevan Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Two Borders, is believed to be the oldest of its kind in Canada. It was constructed in 1897 by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company of Winnipeg. A new foundation and scale were installed around 1950, which has led some to suspect that the elevator was rebuilt at this time, but its characteristic squat style, quite different from those of other prairie elevators, supports a contention that it is original.

The elevator became part of the Ogilvie Milling Company when, in 1954, the two companies merged. For reasons unknown, the elevator retained the original company name painted on its side. It was purchased in 1959 by the Manitoba Pool Elevators, which closed the elevator in 1968 and sold it to private interests.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1897-1922

?

1922-1928

C. A. Henry

1928-1931

W. R. Archibald

1931-1932

Closed

1932-1933

W. R. Archibald

1933-1935

Closed

1935-1938

C. J. Bird

1938-1939

F. R. Young

1939-1940

F. R. Young, F. E. Whitwell, E. Love

1940-1941

E. Love

1941-1943

M. E. Morden

1943-1944

M. E. Morden, E. H. Bedford

1944-1945

M. E. Morden

1945-1946

E. H. Bedford, L. G. Davies

1946-1950

L. G. Davies

1950-1951

L. G. Davies, G. A. Perrin

1951-1956

V. A. Higgins

1956-1963

?

1963-1964

J. M. McGee

1964-1966

A. Potter

1966-1967

R. Murray Hagyard

Photos & Maps

Elva Grain Elevator

Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.21581, W101.11699
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Cameron, RM of Two Borders)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Harmsworth, RM of Wallace)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Building (212 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Elva, RM of Two Borders)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

Record of Country Elevator Receipts, Expenses 1922-23 to and including 1955-156, Lake of the Woods Milling Company Limited, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds, MSS120-L-128.

A History of Grain Elevators in Manitoba by John Everitt, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, circa 1993.

Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

This page was prepared by Ed Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 2 September 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.