The Edington School District was formally established in March 1898, named for an early pioneer family, and a one-room schoolhouse was erected at this site in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. The school closed in 1955 and its catchment area was dissolved in January 1967. The former school building was moved to Plumas and converted into a garage.
Among the teachers of Edington School were M. Edith McLaughlin (1906-1909), Lilian E. Lamb (1910), Mabel C. Andrews (1911), Louise A. Foreman (1912), Grace Nevill (1912-1913), Margaret Johnson (1913), William Makle Pecover (1913-1915), Florence Beam (1916), G. O‘Connor (1916), Isabella A. Sutherland (1916), Clara E. Fletcher (1917), Bessie M. Finck (1917), Mildred L. Merrick (1917-1918), Lillian Arnold (1918-1919), Archibald McMurchy (1919-1920), Robert C. McMurchy (1920), F. S. Chisholm (1921), Elizabeth M. Gair (1921), Evelyn M. Rogers (1921-1922), William James McLaughlin (1922-1930), Rhoda E. Wilkinson (1930-1931), Margaret E. McLaughlin (1932-1933), Ross Addison Smith (1935-1939), Victor Charles Armstrong (1939-1941), E. Jean Jackson (1941), Sylvia McLean (1941-1942), Catherine Jean MacDougall (1942-1943), Dorothy Myrtle Boyd (1943-1944), Genevieve Elizabeth McClelland (1944-1945), Margaret Jean Lowry (1945), Ruth Sophia Seekings (1945-1946), Mabel Adelaide Butler (1945-1947), Eleanor Gladys Alguire (1947-1949), Glenn Robert Charles (1949), Patrick J. Ollenberger (1949-1950), Douglas Gunn (1950-1951), Vivian Lillee (1951), Carol Koroliuk (1951), Verna Edith Coray Carlson (1952-1953), Lena Rempel (1953), Lynne Bird (1953-1954), and Waldermar Rempel (1954-1955).
Edington School commemorative monument (August 2011)
Source: Allan Drysdale
Edington School commemorative monument (May 2022)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.41769, W99.16821
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Edington School District No. 933 Daily Registers, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
Browsing Through the Years: Plumas and District, 1876-1976 by Plumas and District History Committee, 1976, page 39.
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale, Gordon Goldsborough, Rose Kuzina, and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 11 August 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!