Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edenburg School No. 330 (RM of Rhineland)
The Edenburg School District was established in 1883 by By-Law No. 13 of the Douglas Municipality and was formalized in October 1884. A one-room schoolhouse operated along the Post Road (now highway 243) at SE11-1-1W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. It is believed to have been the first public school district formed in the Mennonite West Reserve. At one point, enrollment reached a high of 48 students. By 1953, with dwindling numbers of students, the district was amalgamated with the Edenthal School District No. 756 and all students attended the Edenburg facility.
In 1965, as enrollment dropped to a low of 16 students, the school was closed for one year, with students bused to Gretna School. It was closed permanently in January 1967. The district was dissolved and its area, along with that of Silberfeld School District No. 1590 and Strassberg School District No. 757, became part of the Gretna Consolidated School District. In 1972, they joined the Rhineland School Division. The former school building was moved to Altona where it was renovated into a private residence.
The teachers who worked at Edenburg School through the years included Jacob Enns (1883-1886), Klass Peters (1886-1888), Heinrich Wiebe (1887-1888), Heinrich Enns (1888-1898), Benjamin Ewert (1891-1901), Mr. P. Dueck (1898-1899), Mr. P. Siemens (1899-1900), Mr. P. M. Friesen (1900-1901), Mr. P. M. Siemens (1900-1905), Mr. A. Gerbrandt (1904-1905), Peter R. Siemens (1905-1906), Marg M. Friesen (1905-1906), Mr. P. H. Siemens (1906-1907), Peter Klassen (1907-1908), Peter A. Schellenberg (1907-1908), Gustav Penner (1908-1911), Susan Neufeld (1911-1912), John R. Friesen (1912-1916), Jacob Kornelsen (1916-1917), Frank U. Dueck (1917-1919), John R. Friesen (1919-1923), Agnes Wiebe (1923-1924), Mr. P. J. Unrau (1924-1929), Jacob G. Siemens (1929-1934), Mr. H. H. Rempel (1934-1937), Mr. P. H. Schellenberg (1937-1940), John F. Wiebe (1940-1942), Helen Wiebe (1942-1944), Helen Toews (1944-1945), Mr. L. E. Toews (1945-1946), Henry Klassen (1946-1947), Jack Thiessen (1947-1950), Alma Thiessen (1950-1952), David Thiessen (1952-1953), Gerhard Peter Neufeld (1953-1954), Mr. E. A. Kroeger (1954-1957), Anne Hildebrand (1957-1958), Jim Friesen (1958-1959), Art Peters (1959-1960), Opal Kliewer (1960-1961), and Mr. J. J. Enns (1961-1965).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 1 March 2016
Back to top of page