Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Rosser School No. 594 (RM of Rosser)
The East Rosser School District was organized in May 1889 and a schoolhouse was built in the southwest quarter of 10-12-1 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Rosser. It closed in June 1962. The building was used as a community centre for a time, then was sold for use as a carpentry shop. In 2013, the building was moved to Grosse Isle (about N50.06604, W97.44503) to become part of a museum at the station for the Prairie Dog Central Railway.
Among the teachers of East Rosser School were Maggie Munro, Edna Steele, Florence Shafor, Gertrude Seldon, Esther McCuny, Beatrice Seldon, Mr. K. Edwinson, Anne Lefley, Emmie Carr, Connie Lovelace, Ells Darl, Miss Fraser, Maude Hicks, Marguerite Quickfall, Gertrude Hastey, Phyllis Stefanuk, Nellie Young, Muriel Kilgour, Muriel Gray, Alice Schwarz, Bella Greenlay, Dorothy Ryan, Rebecca Atkinson, Helen Blight, Jennie Keilor, Miss Grant, Una Mitchell, Ruby McDonald, Percy Beresford Binnett, Anna Corbett, Lillie Hallgrimson, Joan Bristow, Mary McCarthy, Bertha Norberg (1960-1962), H. J. Wright, and Irene Jackson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The First Hundred Years, 1893-1993 by the Rosser Municipality Centennial History Book Committee.
“Former school may become heritage site,” Headingley Headliner, 6 January 2012, page 1.
“East Rosser School move nudges forward,” Headingley Headliner, 13 July 2012, page 1.
We thank Gerry Norberg and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 July 2017