Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Malting Malthouse and Grain Elevator (3001 Dugald Road, Winnipeg)
Between late 1927 and early 1928, this Winnipeg malting plant was constructed at an estimated cost of $500,000 by the Seagel’s Construction Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota for the newly-established Canadian company, Dominion Malting Company Limited. Founding officers of the company included G. R. Martin of Minneapolis (President), William H. McWilliams (Vice-President), George F. Briggs (Secretary), Charles J. Martin (Treasurer), Elbert K. Kneeland (Director), Robert T. Evans (Director), and J. R. Martin of Minneapolis (Director).
The plant consisted of a multi-storey malthouse connected to a grain elevator and silos for the storage of barley to be malted and the maturation of malted barley prior to shipment. A 21-year lease was secured for additional grain storage in a nearby disused 1,500,000-bushel Canadian National Railway grain elevator. Twenty-five men were employed in the malthouse and an additional thirty men worked in the grain elevator. The output for the new plant was estimated at 3,500 bushels of malted barley daily or 1,500,000 bushels annually.
Expanded with additional concrete silos in the 1940s, the facility has since been sold to the Malteurop Group, a malt producer that operates plants around world.
“Dominion Malting Company erecting Transcona plant at cost of half million,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 September 1927, page 12.
“Malting plant to operate by April,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 February 1928, page 6.
“Charles Martin killed in auto mishap in U.S.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 January 1937, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 18 January 2020