Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Bank Building / Toronto-Dominion Bank Building (440 Main Street, Winnipeg)

This two-storey stone and brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg was designed by the Toronto architectural firm of Darling and Pearson, and built in 1898 as the western divisional headquarters for the Dominion Bank of Canada. It later became the Toront-Dominion Bank after a merger with the Bank of Toronto. It was demolished in 1968.

Dominion Bank Building

Dominion Bank Building (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2006-0158

Dominion Bank Building

Dominion Bank Building (no date)
Source: Giles Bugailiskis, WP0174

Former site of Dominion Bank Building

Former site of Dominion Bank Building (June 2007)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89691, W97.13918
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Bank Building (678 Main Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 June 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.