Deer Creek School District was originally organized as Oak Bluff School District in April 1907. The name was changed at some later time, possibly to avoid confusion with the Oak Bluff School near Winnipeg. A school building was constructed in the northwest quarter of 8-1-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. It closed in July 1967. As of the early 1990s, the former school building was being used as a granary at SW12-1-5W.
Among the teachers of Deer Creek School was Katherine Weber.
Deer Creek School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 114.
Deer Creek School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.02922, W98.11027
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 March 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.