DeClare School District No. 353 was formally established in August 1884 and a school building was erected on the northeast quarter of 4-15-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Archie. It closed in July 1957 and its remaining students went to Roselea School No. 278 or Rutherglen Consolidated School No. 1297. As of 1986, the building was apparently standing at SE10-15-29W. A concrete monument commemorates the school, as well as former and present residents of the DeClare district.
DeClare School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 24.
The former DeClare School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 35.
DeClare School monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.25510, W101.27970
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rutherglen Consolidated School No. 1297 (McAuley, RM of Archie)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 March 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.