Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection (1106 First Street NW, Dauphin)

The multi-domed Historic Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection, a stucco-finished structure built between 1936 and 1939 under the direction of Father Philip Ruh, can be seen shaping Dauphin’s skyline for several kilometres.

The Historic Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection, a large structure with a dramatic roofline and spectacular interior iconography, is an ambitious example of the cathedral-style churches built by Ukrainian congregations in Manitoba in the 1920s to 1940s. The church’s design showcases the distinctive ways in which it integrates Byzantine, European and Ukrainian Baroque architectural elements to produce elaborate buildings replete with religious symbolism. For more than four decades, Ruh was instrumental in the development of Ukrainian Catholic churches in Canada. His Dauphin structure is noted for its overall proportions, cruciform plan, complex hipped roofs topped by five substantial domes and visually rich interior painted by Canadian iconographer Theodore Baran. Built by volunteers during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the church served the needs of Dauphin-area Ukrainians for over five decades.

Now used on special occasions, the building is set on a corner lot near a 1990 church and parish hall in a quiet residential neighbourhood. Designated a provincial historic site (1994) and a national historic site, the building was renovated between 2003 and 2008 as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project.

Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection

Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection

Interior of Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection (August 2016)
Source: George Penner

Interior of Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection

Interior of Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection (August 2016)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N51.14192, W100.06202
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection (801 Jackson Street, Dauphin)

Sources:

Manitoba Heritage Council Minutes, 22 June 1984.

Historic Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Tim Worth, and George Penner.

Page revised: 22 December 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.