Historic Sites of Manitoba: National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (First Avenue SW, Dauphin)
A wooden grain elevator at Dauphin, on the CNR Gladstone Subdivision, began in 1901 as a 25,000-bushel facility constructed by the Northern Elevator Company. In 1940, it became part of National Grain and, four years later, a feed mill was built beside the elevator. A new elevator was built in 1952 and the old one was converted into an annex. A second annex was added in 1959. In January 1975, it was purchased by Cargill Grain. The facility is no longer present at the site.
Among the agents who worked at this elevator through the years were F. E. Chase, R. D. Chase, R. A. Harvey, J. A. Ringstrom, G. G. Gelhorn, A. S. Halliday, S. B. Charles, L. A. Schneider, and D. Hall.
Dauphin Valley Spans the Years by Dauphin Historical Society, 1970, page 213.
We thank George Penner and Randy Zihrul for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 January 2018
Back to top of page