Historic Sites of Manitoba: Darlingford School No. 1228 (Darlingford, Municipality of Pembina)
The Darlingford School District was established formally in April 1903 and a one-room schoolhouse was located near the southeast corner of SW17-3-7W in the Municipality of Pembina. Beginning in 1909, the schoolhouse no longer had sufficient capacity for all students, and some attended classes at Law Hall until the end of the Spring Term 1910.
In June 1910, the district was consolidated with several nearby smaller rural schools, Lorne School No. 56, Darlington School No. 79, Middleton School No. 404, Calf Mountain School No. 489, Barclay School No. 657, Point Douglas Consolidated School No. 1475, and Rosyth School No. 2030, to form the Darlingford Consolidated School District No. 1228.
A commemorative marker was later erected at the site of this first school building.
The early teachers who worked at Darlingford School were Ruth Owens (Fall 1903 - Spring 1904 & pt September 1904), Ethel W. Armitage (pt September 1904 - Fall 1905), Emma E. Lewis (Spring 1906), Ida E. Brydon (Fall 1906 - Fall 1907), and Amy L. Webb (Spring-Fall 1908).
Photos & Coordinates
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Darlingford School District No. 1228 - Daily Registers, GR5330, Archives of Manitoba.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Darlingford Consolidated School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Darlingford Saga II, 1870-1970, 1970-1999 by the Darlingford Centennial Book Committee, 1999.
Page revised: 5 October 2022