With the construction of the St. Andrew’s Lock and Dam, a repair shop and power house was built alongside the Red River in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. It was a one-storey brick building measuring 90 by 40 feet with a boiler room, engine room, machinery and storeroom, and office. The power house section was constructed for auxiliary electric power, but it was never needed as operating power was eventually purchased under contract from the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway, a subsidiary of the Winnipeg Electric Company.
Repair Shop and Power House for the St. Andrews Lock and Dam (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.08402, W96.93709
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrews Camere Curtain Dam and Lock (Lockport, RM of St. Andrews)
St. Andrew's Lock and Dam, 1900-1910, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, July 1990. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
St. Andrews Lock and Dam - Centennial Celebration, RM of St. Clements Heritage Committee, 2010. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
This page was prepared by Rose Kuzina and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 February 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.