Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crystal City Printing Museum (218 Broadway Street South, Crystal City, Municipality of Louise)
This museum in Crystal City houses Manitoba’s oldest continuously operating printshop. It is an outstanding example of an early small-town newspaper office and contains one of the province’s finest collections of working turn-of-the-century printing equipment. The printshop was constructed in 1881 by Thomas Greenway, founder of Crystal City and Premier of Manitoba from 1888 to 1900. Modest false-fronted commercial structures such as this were typically among the first to be constructed in newly established prairie town sites. This example has survived largely intact and at its original Broadway Street location.
The first issue of the weekly Rock Lake Herald was published here on 1 September 1881, only three years after the arrival of the area’s first settlers. It was succeeded by the long-running Crystal City Courier. Such local newspapers were often the main source of news and information for the community, and played a significant role in the early social, cultural, and political development of rural Manitoba. In 1991, the print shop was purchased by a community group, designated as a municipal heritage building, and developed as a working museum. As of 2010, the museum is closed but visits can be arranged by appointment.
A commemorative plaque was placed on the building by the Manitoba Heritage Council on 26 June 1995.
Courier Publishing Company Building, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Courier Publishing Company Building, Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, 1996.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 November 2022