Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crocus Hill School No. 1448 (RM of Minto-Odanah)
The Crocus Hill School District was established in June 1907, and a school building was erected the next year, in the southwest quarter of 28-16-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Minto-Odanah. The building was destroyed by fire in late December 1935 and was rebuilt in the summer of 1936. It operated until 1964 when the school closed and remaining students went to Erickson Consolidated School No. 2405 or Grey School No. 1356. As of 2011, a monument commemorates the former building site.
Among the teachers of Crocus Hill School was Kathleen Wilmot (1936).
Among the students who attended Crocus Hill School was Laurence Frank “Laurie” Wilmot.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Forest to Field: Centennial History of Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam and Village of Erickson, Manitoba, Canada by Clanwilliam History Book Committee, 1984, page 155.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2019
Back to top of page