Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cory School No. 1870 (Waldersee, Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
The Cory School District was established formally in March 1917, and a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 22-18-22 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. It became part of the Glenella Municipal School system in 1936. The school closed in 1967 and the building was moved to the nearby village of Waldersee where it was used for a time as a community hall. It now appears to be vacant. There is no commemorative monument at the original school site.
Among the teachers of Cory School were Albert Victor Mastin (1934-1939) and Donald Bjornson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Obituary [Donald Bjornson], Winnipeg Free Press, 28 January 2023.
We thank Adrene Schmidt and Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 January 2023