Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clydebank School No. 1598 (Municipality of West Interlake)

The Clydebank School District was organized formally in November 1911 and a school was operating by the next year, in a building constructed on the northwest quarter of 32-21-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake, on land donated by a Mr. Forsyth. The name commemorates a town in Scotland.

The school closed in June 1968 when the district joined the Lakeshore School Division. The building is no longer present at the site but a rock monument, erected on 10 July 1993 by the Clydebank Ladies’ Club for their 75th anniversary, commemorates it.

Among the teachers of Clydebank School were John A. “Jim” May (May-Dec 1912), Joseph K. Lamb (1910s), Bessie A. Ridyard (April to June 1913), L. M. Black (July to December 1915), Grace L. Hamilton (May to December 1916), Leila Stephenson (1919-1920), Lillie Auslang Brown Thomson (September 1921 to May 1922), O. Grahame (June 1922), Edith Webster Lawrence (1928), Evelyn Alice Marie Sjangelo? (1936-1938), V. Doherty (September to December 1939), Clarice Marguerite McLean (January to June 1940), Sidney Warhaft (1941-1942), R. A. Leullier (1942-1943), Mary Kolach (1943-1944), Juanita Matilda Dawson (1944-1945, 1946-1947), Irene Marguerite Sansom (1945-1946), Alice Kate Oliver Kartinen (1947-1948), Edna May Lee (1948-1950), Luella Mildred Brown (1950-1951), Phyllis Irene Kenyon Lamb (1951-1952, 1954-1961), Evelyn Victoria Paulsen (1952-1953), Lena Embryk (1953-1954), ? (1961-1962), Rosalind Gail Pollard (September to December 1962), William Ernest Walker (January to June 1963, 1963-1964), and Mary Ellen Cawley Ryden (1964-1968).

Clydebank School

Clydebank School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 146.

Clydebank School commemorative monument

Clydebank School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.85944, W98.27356
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Over 370 turn out for Clydebank School reunion,” Interlake Spectator, 13 April 1988, page 15.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Clydebank School District No. 1598 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, page 59.

Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.