Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clement Block (907 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)
This five-storey concrete, steel, and red brick building in Brandon was designed by Winnipeg architect Frank R. Evans and constructed in the fall of 1910 at the northwest corner of Rosser Avenue and Ninth Street, on the site of the city’s first post office (1882). Built on behalf of pharmacist David Clement at a cost of about $85,000 by the construction firm of C. H. Simpson and Company, the first floor was occupied by Clement’s pharmacy and other retail shops. The remainder became offices for a variety of commercial enterprises, including Canada’s first medical clinic established by Wilfred A. Bigelow, and the law firm of Clement and Clement.
After a failed effort in the late 1980s by the Assiniboine Historical Society to have the building designated as provincially significant, the Clement Block was demolished in July and August 1989, and the site is now occupied by a one-storey commercial structure.
“Rosser Ave frontage brings high figure,” Brandon Sun, 8 September 1910, page 2.
“Building will be brisk for years,” Brandon Sun, 12 January 1911, page 1.
“Brandon’s big buildings,” Brandon Sun, 23 February 1911, page 9.
“Date with wrecking ball awaits Clement Block,” Brandon Sun, 13 June 1989, page 27.
“Walkway to be closed during demolition period,” Brandon Sun, 20 June 1989, page 2.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2019
Back to top of page