The Clearview School District was organized formally in January 1895 and a 18 by 24-foot log schoolhouse was erected at SW7-26-21W in the Rural Municipality of Gilbert Plains. In 1910, it was replaced by a wood frame structure. A third school building was constructed in 1944. The school closed in 1966 and the district was dissolved the next year. Its remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School No. 998 in Gilbert Plains. The former school building was used for a time as a granary and was still present at the site in 2006 but was gone by 2013. It is commemorated by a fieldstone monument unveiled at a school reunion in July 1991.
Clearview School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 9.
The former Clearview School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 429.
The former Clearview School building (July 2006)
Source: Ed Arndt
Clearview School monument (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason
Site Location (lat/long): N51.23257, W100.39175
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 January 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.