Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 85


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carnegie Monument (Municipality of Riverdale)

A monument in the Municipality of Riverdale commemorates the former community of Carnegie that was situated here. A post office opened in 1903, taking the name of William Carnegie on whose land the office was situated. It is said that Carnegie was the second cousin of industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) who funded the construction of three libraries in Winnipeg: Carnegie Library (1905), Cornish Library (1915), and St. John’s Library (1915).

A station on the Lenore Subdivision of the Canadian Pacific Railway, in its heyday Carnegie had two grain elevators, one operated by the Western Canada Flour Mills and the other by the Ogilvie Flour Mills. An outdoor skating rink was built with materials scavenged from a construction site in Brandon. The water to flood the rink came from a well on the Johnston farm about one-half mile away. Within several years, a change room was built and electric lights were added.

The post office closed in 1960 and nothing remains at the site today other than the monument near the abandoned railway line.

Carnegie

A view of Carnegie from the southwest showing section house, blacksmith’s house, blacksmith shop, Johnson (originally Watt’s) general store, Western Canada Four Mills grain elevator, and Ogilvie grain elevator (circa 1935)
Source: Bill and Mary Frank (via James Frank)

Carnegie Hockey Team

Carnegie hockey team (1930s)
Source: Bill and Mary Frank (via James Frank)

Carnegie Hockey Team

Carnegie hockey team; Bill Wismer is third from right (1930s)
Source: George Johnston

Carnegie Hockey Team

Blacksmith’s house at Carnegie, occupied until 1919 by Geoffrey Walter Frank then until the smithy closed in the 1950s by Harry McAuley (before 1919)
Source: James Frank

Carnegie Hockey Team

Johnson’s (originally Watt’s) general store (1930s)
Source: George Johnston

Johnson's General Store

Johnson’s (originally Watt’s) general store with proprietor H. T. Johnson and his stepdaughters Alice, Marion, and Jean (circa 1930s)
Source: Bill and Mary Frank (via James Frank)

Carnegie Monument

Carnegie monument (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.97523, W100.09438
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

We thank George Johnston (former Brandon resident) and James Frank for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 December 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.