Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosetta School No. 421 / Carlowrie School No. 1760 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
Known originally as Rosetta School District when it was formally established in August 1885, it was re-organized into the Arnaud School District No. 1175 in July 1912. It was shortly thereafter re-established as an independent district, then known as the Carlowrie School District No. 1760, in September 1914. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SE34-3-4E in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. The original structure was replaced in 1924 by a larger one. The school closed in 1965 and the district was dissolved two years later. Its area became part of the Boundary School Division. The building was moved to Vita where it was used as an extra classroom until a new school building opened there in 1969.
Among the teachers who worked at Rosetta School through the years were Peter McArthur (1886), William Elkin, John William Lawbe Doubleday, B. McKinnon, Harold Buttriem, A. Labournaise, C. Mitchell, G. Armstrong, Alberta Homibrook (1908), Celia E. Mitchell (1909-1910), G. Etta Armstrong (1910-1913), and Minnie E. Stewart (1913-1914, via Arnaud School).
Among the teachers who worked at Carlowrie School through the years were B. E. Chan [B. Elham] (1914), Jean McBean (1915-1916), Annie Witty (1916-1917), Margaret J. Inkster (1918, 1920), M. A. Nisely (1919), C. D. McDonald (1919), Thordis Eyolfson (1919), Edith Olive Windsor (1920), John B. Quinn (1921), C. A. Bunton (1921), W. L. Buggey (1922), Harold Melville Stinson (1923), William T. Olson (1923-1924), William Egerton McIntosh (1924-1925), Daniel J. Reese (1925-1926), Hugh J. Coyle (1927), Mary Eva Hopkins (1927-1929), Lois McLellan (1930), Clara Marguerite Cox (1930, 1931-1932), Vida Weldon (1930, substitute), Eugenia Prygrocki (1932-1933), Mary Nazeravich (1933-1937), Alexander Nazeravich (1937-1941), Eva Bonkowski (1941-1945), Gwendolyn Wardrop (1945), Rose Eva Pamula (1944), Harry Steve Stadnyk (1946-1949), William Kowalchuk (1949-1951), Stella Mandzuik (1951-1953), Mary Mildred Hallama (1953-1955), Mary P. Paley (1955-1959), Roman Dmytro Smook (1959-1960), George Joseph LaFrance (1960-1964), Patricia Marie Frank (1964-1965), and Alice Froese (1965-1967)
St. Malo West topographic map, 62H/7 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Arnaud Through the Years by Arnaud Historical Society, 1974. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosetta School District No. 421 Daily Registers, GR2038, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Arnaud School District No. 1175 Daily Register, GR2038, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Carlowrie School District No. 1760 Daily Registers, GR2076, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Carlowrie School District No. 1760 Daily Register, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 April 2018