Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bru School No. 368 (RM of Argyle)
The Bru School District was established formally in June 1885, with a schoolhouse erected in the southeast quarter of 16-6-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. It operated at this location until 1897 when it moved to SW11-6-13W, staying there until 1921 when it relocated to NW11-6-13W. The school closed in 1959 and its students went to Cypress River Consolidated School No. 2357 or St. Alphonse Consolidated School No. 2371. A monument was dedicated at the former site of the school on 6 July 1985.
Among the teachers of Thor School was Hansena Gudny “Sena” Gunnlaugson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Hansena G. Gunnlaugson], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 March 1998, page C12.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 March 2020
Back to top of page